Sunday, June 15, 2008

Not snowing now!


But with the temps heading upwards of 95 degrees today, I can't help but remember our wonderful scant snowfall just a few months back. It began the night before, coming down hard and fast. I didn't dare look out during the night, for fear it would stop. Come daybreak, it had and before I let the houndies out, I went out to capture the softness...I just love snow.

After making the rounds of the acreage, I knew it wasn't going to last long as the temperatures were rising and it wasn't that deep...and it didn't. By noon, it was gone.

The Mississippi Delta rarely sees a true long-lasting snow as it did many years ago, when I was younger. Snow, back then, lasted at least two days, if not longer.

We have had major ice storms, taking trees and power lines down for many days. In 1994, the ice storm hit Greenville, MS really hard. In fact, while living in Arkansas, and driving down Hwy. 82, the piles of damaged trees, cut and removed to their final resting place, just outside town, were still evident. Greenwood was spared from this storm ending just 12 miles west.

However, in 1998, Greenwood, MS was hit and hit hard with an ice storm taking away power for seven days. All those homes north of the Yazoo River were at a loss while the homes south still had power. I guess its the kid in me that loves a good snow, but not the ice.

No comments: